Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Boston

Two days prior to the events on Monday I was at a museum in the city looking at remnants from the attacks on 9/11. I have to admit, even now, more than ten years on it's hard to believe it all happened. I began replaying that day in my head and it was still pretty clear. Walking through the exhibits made it even that much more difficult to comprehend. I thought of how cruel we are to each other and wondered why we go to such lengths in the first place.

The events this week struck pretty close to home to say the least. I grew up right there in Mass and remember attending local events and parades throughout my youth. I always felt safe, always felt protected. We all knew each other and there was always an enormous sense of community. I think I might have seen an old classmate of mine running with one of the stretchers and helping the wounded. That's what kind of people live there.

I'm not sure why as humans we do this to each other or if we'll ever graduate from this stage in our existence, but isn't it time yet? We continue seeing these thoughtless, barbaric acts on what no longer seems to be a day to day basis.

If there's anything I know about the people of Boston it's that they will rise above this, I guess my question is when will the ones responsible? We are not forever. So what are they achieving from this? Is it too much to live and let live? Where's the peace? And when do we get past this stage???

'If you have photos or video from the scene that you think might be helpful to investigators, call 1-800-494-TIPS. Authorities are still investigating who set the bombs and why, but there are several things you can do right now to help in the immediate aftermath of this tragedy.' -TakePart.com

If you would like to make a donation to help the victims and families visit: One Fund Boston set up by Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Tom Menino to support those most affected.

-Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment