Sunday, April 21, 2013

Festival recap

Enjoyed meeting people yesterday more than actually playing. It all happened pretty fast. DJ down stairs thumped away during my acoustic set, tried to cling to his beat for the second song 'Digitalis' to no avail. Guy was loud (distracting? yea just a bit). Good thing I brought some of the new lyrics else I'd have totally lost concentration. Sound guy at Ghion had a hard time taming the feedback as well. Note to self, when playing in the same location as DJ's ditch the acoustic and play fuckin' LOUD.

All in all I got to meet a bunch of cool people (thanks for sticking around for my set by the way). Only got through a fraction of what I wanted to play but when the venue person gave me the signal I was perfectly fine relinquishing the rest of the hour left to the next band. Actually got things back on schedule.

I played right after a band called Those Manic Seas a noise rock group from Richmond with a television headed mannequin as a lead singer (pretty cool visuals). I met Andrew from Caustic Casanova who shared a lot of similar influences. He just happened to be at the show, we talked for a bit. Seems like a cool guy and I'll definitely be checking out his band. Also met Shep Shapard from Cake and Calculus whose set i unfortunately missed, but I'll be checking them out too.

Band that really caught my eye last night were a Brooklyn based band called Band of Young Saints. They had it all, and seemed to have everyone hook line and sinker. Great drummer, incredibly involved and talented guitarists (who sang back-up on practically every tune) and the best female vocalist I've heard in some time! Give these guys a listen at: http://band-of-young-saints.bandcamp.com

There it is, thanks for hanging out. Was nice meeting the rest of you and thanks to Gavin Murray-Miller of The Absent Center and Dave Mann at Connect the Dots for putting this thing together.

I'll post some pics shortly.

-Ian

Pre-Order 'Extras' @ Velvet-Ants.com

No comments:

Post a Comment